Skip to main content

My Jesus Experience


I went to church from childhood but was not very active. In my teenage years, I became more active and participated in all the prescribed classes - discipleship, baptismal class, choir etc. At some point in secondary school, I believed that it wasn't cool to be a Christian, so I was just nominal and admired those who I thought lived the ‘fun and cool’ life.

Somehow, because I was small in size and younger than my classmates, I was usually considered a baby and not old enough to participate in the 'cool’ stuff!

I remember that all I was looking forward to post-secondary school, was to get admitted into the University of Lagos, with the hope that I will be able to do all the ‘cool’ things! Then JAMB and my dad insisted that I attend a private Adventist University, Babcock University! I cried blood - " You guys don't love me!". How will I get to do all the adventurous and cool things in a university  that doesn't allow jewellery or give you freedom to go in and out, when you like?

Anyways, during the wait period before resumption, Bimbo invited me to a fellowship, Young Disciples International (YDI). YDI was the place where I first became conscious of my faith and its realities. I met 'correct' blokes and chics who were cool but also passionate and burning for Jesus! It changed my life forever and I made it my 2nd home - I walked for close to an hour to get to the YDI hub. Nothing could stop me, not even my domestic obligations. I will wake up in the middle of the night to cook for the family and wash my clothes so I would have the day free for YDI.

At YDI tremendous things happened to me, especially regarding my relationship with Jesus - I remember Michael saying "the walk is not easy" but His grace is sufficient. YDI also ignited the desire to walk in purpose - giving my whole life to God and expressing my full giftedness.

I walked with YDI whilst on holidays, all through my University. In University, I had a bad church experience but my solid foundation in Christ kept me on a steady path towards a  one-on-one relationship with Him. 

Jesus changed my life! He transformed and still transforms my character, daily. He aligned and is still re-aligning my priorities in order to ensure that I keep Him at the centre of my life! He is consistently and faithfully doing His inner work in me. I am growing daily to think less about myself and understand that the essence of my Life is to fear/revere God and keep His commandments. To love Him with all of me and to love my neighbours as myself.

Of myself, I don’t know how to love Him, but through His Spirit, He teaches me daily. He is always there for me, my faithful father and ever consistent friend.  The light burden He has given me is to read His word (my bible) and communicate with Him without ceasing. My duty is to deliberately create the time for Him, whilst also being conscious of His presence in me all through my day. He is the only being on my life’s journey that can never fail!

It took me pretty long to understand why a loving God will withhold juice from His children. I wanted Him to not only answer my prayers but to answer them speedily. At the earlier stages, it seemed like I got all my major prayers answered. I wasn’t as lucky, as time went on. I now understand that salvation is not about me but about Him; about His love. God wants me to look more to Him, to His face and not just His hand.

He still answers me, but certainly not the way my flesh wants it, all the time. Sometimes, instead of giving me what I want, He gives me something else or takes His time or just hugs me instead.
It is a peaceful and joyful journey but not a tearless one. Sometimes I cry and cry because of pain that strikes on this side of eternity, but what joy to know that the creator of this massive world is with me, through all seasons.

I now realise that He is most concerned about my one-on-one relationship with Him and the fullness of Christ being formed in me. He is interested in building my character, in enabling me to bear His fruit. He will certainly give me goodies as I move along, but that is far from the focus.

I have done badly with organised ‘religion’ - organised church. I am distracted by too much man reflected in our processes. My understanding is that when we fellowship as believers, the only being to be  magnified directly or indirectly is God…Jesus lifted high and His gospel preached!
In my current phase, I am truly praying for a less formal and simple model where believers can fellowship with less distractions, less of self and all the focus on Jesus…so help me God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emotional Wahala…….

Emotion left on her own will depreciate someday While alive and in flames it seems as if you’ll be consumed if you don’t express her or the other party doesn’t react in the desired direction. She can bear many children ranging from flings to crushes to outright obsession and sometimes Love. Emotion on her own is healthy and she keeps the engine of relationships running. The kind we speak of in this note is when she ain’t mutual (or seemingly so). Emotion in this context: a state where your blood literally jumps out of your veins at the mention or sight of anything that concerneth the igniting party. Where you wait by your phone literally praying that a call comes in or you refresh your inbox like a gazillion times expecting an unsent message. Truth is, we have no control over these emotions; we don’t solicit for her birth. She just comes upon us suddenly. The only way out is managing her by putting her where she belongs. Oh yes there are solutions even if

Still in tears

I knew it wasn’t right. Personal values, societal values and all the works, I didn’t let us grow. We kept it platonic (difficultly so). Our hearts wanted more. Our heads knew better. Only space and time can heal us. I’m utmostly grateful for your THERENESS, Your openness, your romance, your consistency and your maturity. I did it for your clan, for my man for myself & for you. When we meet in future, because  I'm sure we will, We’ll catch up on our phases.  I will miss you sorely.  Still in tears.

You make me wanna write a poem

I'm sure thoughts of you have crossed my mind a gazillion times in the last 6 days I wonder why! When i met you i began to have a secret crush on you ( i wish i knew how successful i was at the 'secret' bit) then you fell in love. I managed myself & depreciated my crush back to platonic levels. We have done well as platonics and i have always imagined it to remain at that level. All of a sudden thoughts of you begin to flood my mind It scarces me I'm forced to put my thoughts on paper Logically, I dont want anything exceeding platonic levels because going by head sense, you dont strike me as my soul mate Yet, the thoughts keep coming, i dont know what to do with them. I wonder if thoughts of' 'us' have ever crossed your mind. Trust me, i wouldn't sacrifice our friendship for these temporal feelings of mine Hopefully, my soulmate will show up before any 'damage' is done. 'Jan '09